The small animal surgical referrals team sees patients with most orthopaedic conditions. This includes everything from assessment and management of lameness cases through to obvious surgical candidates. We are happy to help at any stage of the diagnostic or treatment process. With our 24 hour nursing care and hospital facilities we are also able to manage acute trauma cases from beginning to end.
Common procedures include but are not limited to:
- cranial cruciate ligament rupture. We perform tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA), closing tibial wedge ostectomy or lateral suture. Deciding on which procedure is performed is done on an individual case basis. Read information for pet owners on cruciate ligament rupture.
- fracture repair. We have a complete AO/ASIF kit for internal fixation and IMEX kit for external fixation. This allows us to manage simple and complicated fractures in all sizes of pets. Read information for pet owners on fracture repair.
- patellar luxation. We perform block or wedge sulcoplasty and tibial tuberosity transposition with fascial release and imbrication as necessary. Read information for pet owners on patellar luxation.
- ligament, tendon and joint injuries. We can treat injuries including carpal and tarsal arthrodesis, achilles mechanism failure repair, collateral ligament injuries, shearing injuries and joint luxations.
- lameness investigation. We assess and manage any lameness case.
Orthopaedic patient after-care
Most of our orthopaedic patients will stay overnight. All orthopaedic go home with a detailed post-operative rehabilitation plan.
You can find more information on referring a case or getting in touch to discuss a case in How to Refer a Case.