Meet Bob a young Lurcher puppy who came into our Weedon surgery in the early hours of Thursday morning. This cheeky chap had ingested half a punnet of grapes and whilst he was licking his lips, his owner was already rushing him in to be treated by our vet Helen Pope.
Grapes, raisins, and even currants (some currants are actually small, black grapes) are toxic to dogs! In fact, there have been anecdotal reports of cats and ferrets being affected by these also. Ingestion of even a small amount of grapes, raisins, or currants can result in severe, acute kidney failure. All types of grape- or raisin-containing products can result in this. Even organic, pesticide-free, grapes grown in home gardens can result in toxicity. Although the mechanism of action is not clearly understood on how grapes, raisins and currants are poisonous at this time, this common fruit can result in anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially severe acute renal failure (which develops several days later). The toxicity is not necessarily dose-dependent, and symptoms can occur with even small ingestions.
With Bobs owners fast response he was treated quickly within half an hour of ingestion by inducing vomiting and decontaminating the stomach. This is done using an injectable emetic drug called Apomorpine which targets and stimulates specific receptors in the brain that quickly induce vomiting.
(Bob feeling very sorry for himself after his ordeal)
If grape ingestion isn’t treated this quickly then other treatments such as aggressive supportive care, aggressive IV fluid therapy,and blood tests for kidney function (e.g., BUN/creatinine) monitoring is needed.
Thankfully in this case Bob made a full recovery back at home and sent us this photo of himself looking alot happier after some recovery time on the sofa.
(Bob recovering at home on the sofa)
If you suspect your pet has ingested grapes, raisins, or currants, call us immediately on 01327 350239 (Towcester) or 01327 344999 (Weedon)