Call 01327 350239
Call 01327 811007
  • Throwing Sticks for your Dog….A potentially dangerous playtime!

    Posted on by Kat Mozdzynski

    There has been a national campaign recently warning dog owners about the dangers of throwing sticks for their pets to fetch after a reported rise in life-threatening injuries.

    We have seen numerous cases over the years from pieces of wood lodged in jaws, cuts to the mouth and tongue and horrific injuries where the dogs have impaled themselves whilst desperately trying to retrieve the stick.


    The Following picture is of one such case seen recently by our vet Sarah Elliot. In this case the stick had penetrated the throat of the dog and emerged through the side of the neck.

    stick mouthstick out

    After a painstaking operation to carefully remove the foreign body we are pleased to say the dog made a full recovery. Unfortunately this is not always the case as some injuries can leave splinters behind needing further surgery or the injury itself can be fatal. The sticks are dirty, the mouth cavity is full of bacteria as well, and in that process inoculate bacteria into structures within the body, as well as damaging the oesophagus, the spinal cord – causing paralysis, and so on.

    We strongly recommend throwing rubber sticks, balls or Frisbees instead as these are safer alternatives. We want every pooch to continue having fun; we don’t want to stop dogs being mentally stimulated and really enjoying going for a walk and playing. But we can make good use of the really quality dog-safe toys that serve the same purpose.

    If you want further information on this subject, please don’t hesitate to contact us at the surgery 01327 344999 (Weedon) or 01327 350239 (Towcester)



    Kat Mozdzynski
    Kat has been nursing for 12 years and joined the team at Towcester Vets back in 2013. She enjoys all aspects of nursing and specialises in clinical work and acupuncture.
    View all posts by Kat Mozdzynski →