We are aware of a post on social media claiming that there has been a confirmed case of Alabama Rot in Stoke Bruerne. This, however, to our knowledge is not the case. The patient in question was treated at Davies Veterinary Referrals who do not believe it was Alabama Rot.
Please be vigilant of other social media posts that are incorrectly informing people of ‘Confirmed Cases’. The only confirmed case in Northamptonshire was one dealt with, by us, over 4 years ago in February 2014.
We are as keen as anyone to inform owners of the updates on research into Alabama Rot and of course any confirmed cases within the local area and will be providing information as and when we receive it.
With much in the news recently about Alabama Rot, we have put some information together about what the disease is thought to be, the symptoms and the advisory precautions to use when you are out and about with your dog.
The cause of Alabama Rot, clinically known as idiopathic cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy (CRGV), is still unknown. It is however thought that it is caused by toxins produced by bacteria such as E.coli often from muddy, woody areas and that it initially enters the body through abrasions and wounds. Recently veterinary experts have also discussed the possibility that it comes from ingesting the cause, but again, this has not been proved.
In all cases skin lesions form on the body. Within one to nine days of the skin lesions appearing, renal shutdown often follows, ultimately leading to death.
Common symptoms include, but are not limited to:
Tests on kidneys from an affected dog under post mortem is the only way to get 100% confirmation of the disease.
Currently there is no known way to prevent a dog from contracting the disease however these advisory precautions and checks should be put in place when out and about with your dog:
Although this all seems like pretty alarming information, we don’t want to anyone to panic. If you put the above measures in place, look for the signs and regularly check on our website for news of any further cases reported then you and your dogs should continue enjoying the lovely outdoors as normal.