Senior Horse Health Check
February 28, 2023
‘Our team of experienced equine vets are passionate about offering gold standard care all year round. As a result of feedback from our most recent client evenings, we are now launching a comprehensive examination with your senior horse in mind. By utilising this appointment you will also qualify for offers on additional services, this will allow us to provide further guidance from an evidence based approach with the added reassurance you are delivering the best care for your older horse.’ Vet Holly Gimmler
What to expect from our NEW Senior Horse Health Check?
This health check can be booked in advance on a normal visit, discounted visit/van zone or at your nearest clinic.
Your vet will carry out the following checks, discuss any findings with you and answer any questions you may have at the time.
- Assess the heart rate and check for irregularities
- Thorough eye exam
- Oral examination with gag*
- Weight & condition
- Walk & trot the horse in a straight line to observe movement
- Worming discussion
- Current medication/on going treatment
- Summary of the horses general health & well-being
- A photo of your horse can be taken by your vet for our records if you wish
During the time with your horse the vet will perform a structured examination including an extensive range of checks. A copy of the vets completed worksheet will be provided at the end of your appointment.
Appointment time approx. 45mins
What discounted services are available on the day?
After your horse’s health check is complete, if any of the following services are required you qualify for our offer prices on these selected services:
- ACTH bloods (testing for PPID Cushings Disease)
- EMS bloods (testing for Equine Metabolic Syndrome)
- Haematology & Biochemistry (routine health screen)
- Dental with or without sedation* (routine tooth rasp)
*As part of the health check, if following the oral examination your horse requires a routine dental rasp this can be booked at the reduced offer price with no additional visit fee but must be undertaken within 2 weeks of the initial appointment. On occasions when the vet has the extended time and necessary equipment it can be performed on the day.
Contact us today to ask your vet about your horses next Health Check