Should cats eat wet or dry food?
October 21, 2023
Ensuring your cat has the correct diet is an essential part of keeping them happy and healthy. There are many factors involved when it comes to choosing the correct diet, such as age, lifestyle, their health status and also their individual preferences. One of the most frequently asked questions our Vets receive, relating to cat nutrition, is whether cats should eat wet or dry food. To help you decide what’s best for your pet, we’ve put together the following advice.
Advantages of wet food
- Wet cat food can help keep your cat hydrated as it has a high moisture content. This can be useful if your cat is a fussy drinker.
- It generally is easier to chew and digest – making wet food a good option for young and senior cats, or those suffering from dental issues.
- Picky eaters tend to prefer wet food due to its strong smell and flavour.
Wet food – things to consider
- Your cat could need a higher amount of food to meet their calorific needs if they are on a wet food diet.
- Wet food has a shorter lifespan and needs to be discarded only a few hours after being served.
- Wet food tends to be more expensive and needs to be refrigerated.
Advantages of dry food
- Storing and serving dry food is often easier as it does not need refrigerating and can be left out without spoiling.
- Dry food tends to be more calorie dense so your cat may require a smaller portion to meet their nutritional needs. We recommend that you weigh out your cat’s food portions daily to ensure they are getting the right amount for their needs.
- You can purchase brands of food that are designed to help clean your cat’s teeth as they feed – reducing tartar build-up.
Dry food – things to consider
- If you plan on feeding your cat a dry food diet, it is essential they are good drinkers. They will need to drink plenty to stay hydrated – whereas wet food can be better suited to fussy drinkers.
- It may not be as appealing to your cat and it can be difficult to transfer a cat from wet food to dry food.
Can you mix wet and dry food?
Many owners choose to mix wet and dry food to provide their cat with benefits from both types of diet. The team at Towcester Vets recommend you chat to our experienced nursing team who will be able to advise on your cat’s ideal diet depending on their specific needs. Contact us today on 01327 350239 to book a nurse consultation or for more advice about feeding your cat.